Will social media become the final nail in the coffin when it comes to taking the “human” out of human being?
Here’s a downright disturbing statistic…
According to one well known counseling psychologist on Long Island, NY, at least three people per week come to her for therapy because of something that happened on Facebook.
That’s right – Facebook!
Surprised? Or are you, yourself caught up in the cult–ture known as social media and don’t know how (or want) to get out?
Regardless of your position within or without participation in social media, the interview you’re about to hear with our guest Dr. Laurie Nadel will likely alarm and enlighten you.
Now let’s just state for the record, as we did during our conversation, that technology including the use of social media sites like Facebook have a huge upside, that is if one knows how to navigate its landscape properly and if one can use discernment, and a proper motivation for participation.
Apparently, these days, that’s a huge ask.
Nonetheless, listen intently to some of the disturbing online trends that seem to be escalating at a huge pace, and then you decide if it’s time to sound the alarm.
In this provocative episode of Higher Journeys Radio we discuss:
- The dangerous psychological trends with the use of of social media.
- How technology has usurped the ability to use critical thinking.
- Have we given over our human side to artificial intelligence?
- Has technology promoted a “collective insanity?”
- Is technology being purposefully used as a tool to manipulate mass consciousness?
- What role does subliminal messaging play in our use of technology?
- Donald Trump’s “tweeting behavior.”
- Are the tools of technology being planned or planted?
- How we willingly allow personal surveillance to take place and why this is so.
The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. Soon it will be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and maintain up-to-date complete files containing even the most personal information about the citizen. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities.
― Zbigniew Brzeziński,
- Are we living in a world of social exhibitionism?
- Did the social engineers know how to exploit the lower aspects of the human brain (i.e. the reptilian brain)?
- Emojis: The “lazy person’s way of expressing emotion.”
- Going from a culture of phone sex to “sexting.” – What damage has this done to the ability to have real relations?
- What would happen if the (technological) grid went down? Would we remember how we survived when we didn’t have these “conveniences?”
- Our addiction to digital time and the artificial construct.
- The awareness of time based on solar/lunar positions.
- How technology has induced a break with nature and the ramifications of this behavior.
- Can we return to human conversation or have we past the point of no return?
Dr. Laurie leaves us with a list of critical questions to ponder as we continue to allow some aspect of social media and technology at-large to remain a central focus of our lives:
- How is this (technology) going to affect my life?
- Will it improve my life?
- How many hours a day will I have to devote to it (technology)…i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- How useful are these channels?
- What do I really want to get out of having an online identity?
- Do I need it?
- What is it a substitute for?
There’s no longer any distinction in most people’s minds between who they are, how they interact, and their cell phones. – Dr. Laurie Nadel
You may also like: Social Media, Pretend Friends, and the Lie of False Intimacy
Relevant links from this episode:
- Humans, Emojis, and the Reduction of Consciousness by Alexis Brooks
- “Let Daddy Fix It” – Donald Trump and the Collective Unconscious by Laurie Nadel/Huffington Post
- Alone Together – Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other by Sherry Turkle
- Tethered to Technology – Have We Reached the Point of No Return? by Alexis Brooks
- GET Dr. Laurie Nadel’s book Your Sixth Sense – Unlocking Your Ultimate Mind Power on MindBodyNetwork.com and receive great bonus gifts!
Watch this interview on YouTube
About our guest:
Dr. Nadel is a nationally recognized expert on mental health issues stemming from catastrophic events. After September 11, 2001, she was quoted in The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Reuters and the Associated Press. She appeared as an expert on CNN. Since Hurricane Sandy, Dr. Nadel’s work with survivors has been featured in The New York Times, Newsday, CNN.com, and the Associated Press and other publications and websites. She was interviewed on National Public Radio’s Here and Now noontime broadcast.
Laurie Nadel, Ph.D. has been in private practice since 1991. A psychotherapist and business coach certified by the International Coach Federation, Dr. Nadel is a master practitioner of neurolinguistic programming (NLP). Her clients include CEO’s, entrepreneurs, Broadway stars and professionals from many different countries. Phone and Skype sessions are available upon request. She has been a guest on Oprah and Coast-to-Coast AM with Art Bell and George Noory.